The Critical Deficiency: Human Progesterone!
We have been duped for many years, and are still being misled!
The need for Progesterone to be supplemented by both men and women in the world today, is really NOT a complex issue. BUT- it has been made complicated by the intentional misleading marketing from the Pharmaceutical industry and our medical system.
Deciding how much of the recommended cream form of it we need to supplement for our bodies improved endocrine functioning, is fairly complex. But, the fact that we do need enough of it at all times and for understandable reasons are just not able to synthesize/make enough of it on our own; is actually pretty simple.
These are the facts:
- We simply need more of our own natural progesterone because Progesterone is rapidly depleted by the stress of our lives, our nasty environment, and our under-nourishing/ poisoned foods, and chlorinated and fluoridated unhealthy water supply. Progesterone is also the source substance in the human body from which Cortisol is made (or synthesized) in the body.
Progesterone is not a female hormone at all. It is a human anti-stress, calming, nurturing, healing hormone. It is not in any way feminizing, and the shortage of it promotes depression and thyroid dysfunction, in men and women! Actually, the list of illnesses, symptoms, syndromes etc. that a deficiency of progesterone causes is more 50 items long, and includes a number of very serious and uncomfortable problems!
If we lived in a perfect world–say in Nirvana-we would probably not need to supplement natural progesterone daily! So if you are living in Nirvana, dear reader, then you may not need to supplement with progesterone. Otherwise, you probably do!
- Hormones are produced in the body (i.e. are synthesized) in a sequential and specific pathway. Those hormones in the pathway beginning with DHEA, follow this pathway: DHEA> Androstenedione>Testosterone> 3 Estrogen forms, and are measured in only microscopic amounts called picograms. 1 picogram = 0.000000000001 grams or 1 one trillionth (10-12) of a gram. When we take a pill or consume them in drug form, we generally receive one-half mg 1 mg per tablet. This is just way, way, way too much! Environmental estrogens are ingested in significant but not fully known or measured quantities.
- The hormones in the other human hormone pathway which includes Progesterone>Cortisol as well as Progesterone>Aldosterone are measured in a 1000X larger measurement called a nanogram. Meaning that they are needed in the body at 1000X quantities. We are way undersupplied of these, when the other side, is so very oversupplied! The ratio of 1 progesterone molecule to 1 estrogen molecule should always be at least 1000:1. In fact the ratio of progesterone to any of the “sex hormones”on the left side pathway, is also 1000 : 1!
As I said above, this simple issue has been made complicated by the intentional misleading marketing from the Pharmaceutical industry and our medical system. This is called obfuscation from the verb: Obfuscate. I will use that word a number of time throughout this website, as it is the means of the duping!
The Drug companies cannot make human/natural progesterone and sell it at a profit. A patent is required for each drug sold so that a prescription must be obtained to buy it! There is no profit in bioidentical/human hormones. And there is no end to disease creation when we use the chemicals they must prescribe. So they lie to us and tell us that the drug forms of their hormones are just like our own and work just fine. This is simply and patently false.
|Obfuscate–v – to throw into shadow: darken; to make obscure; confuse.|
Dear reader, please just step back with me to the beginning–to a new paradigm in “What are human hormones? And what do we each need to know about the more important ones that get so far out of balance?”
- Human hormones are chemical messengers responding to signals and are measured in microscopic amounts. They are exquisitely (i.e. very very) sensitive to the ratios between themselves. Humans really and truly can only use the exact same molecule that we make in our own bodies for most-if not all-of the endocrine hormones. That is the simple truth of it. However, and importantly, our bio-identical hormones cannot be patented, because to get a patent, the new substance being patented has to be genetically-i.e. molecularly unique and therefore different.
Look up the definition of unique. Unique means “the only one”! One, not one of a few, not one but others intending to be stand-ins count! No! -The only one.
|Definition of unique (from Merrium Webster)
1) Being the only one: sole
2) Being [existing] without a like or equal: unequaled
3) Distinctively characteristic: peculiar.
The one, unique, exact molecule of human progesterone looks exactly like this:
But progestin(s)– the fake drug forms of progesterones are not the same.
The most commonly used and proven toxic in the vast Women’s Health Studies (Women’s Health Study and the Hormone Therapy Trials which all ended due to poor outcomes (See this from Dr. Christiane Northrup MD) from the pharmaceutical agents being studied. Read more here and here). I am addressing here the results in which the fake versions of progesterone were used.
One of the primary choices that your Medical Doctor can/will prescribe for you is legally called “medroxyprogesterone acetate”. There are other drug forms they prescribe, with slight variations on the market too. None are safe or remotely identical to the human progesterone molecule.
The most used, Medroxyprogesterone acetate though is marketed under several names, including but not limited to Provera™, and Depo-Provera™. Its molecular structure is exactly per the patent on the drug, this:
Even the compounded forms (i.e. from the compounding pharmacist) of “Progesterone” are different. The pharmacists argue that they are bioidentical, but they cannot be and actually are not. They vary in molecular structure, are typically more water-soluble than natural Progesterone, and are pharmaceutical drugs. Probably the simplest and most obvious disqualifying factor to the consumer though is that they do require a prescription to buy them! None of the fake prescriptive hormones are bioidentical to the Progesterone we make in our bodies and so desperately need to have enough of to remain healthy. These are not the same! They are not the same at all! And the difference between them has been shown to cause heart disease, arterial disease, PMS, breast disease, thyroid dysfunction, arterial constriction, and many other problems.
What is the takeaway here? Two things that are genetically not the same are not equal or interchangable! An apple is not an orange, a genetically modified bean is not the same as an organic bean; a dog is not a cat, and a synthetic progestin is not natural progesterone. Yes, it is actually that straightforward! In biochemistry, nutrition, endocrinology, and as regards to your health, the molecular structure matters, and it always matters!
Finally, any form of progesterone that is not the human-made form should be called a “Progestin”. Pharmaceutical companies know this, but they like to call them progesterone anyway, to obfuscate things. Continued in part 2….